Dentistry is all about the oral cavity. It focuses on the health of the teeth, gums and soft tissues in the mouth. Holistic dentistry expands the scope of cause and effect by considering the entire person, not just their mouth and oral hygiene. Holistic dentistry recognizes there are more issues involved in acquiring and maintaining optimal oral health than proper brushing, flossing and regular visits to the dentist. At Green Dental, our holistic approach encompasses healthy options for patients and the environment.
While physical symptoms are certainly a significant part of dental problems, there may also be outside pressures to consider, as well. For example, if a person has persistent tooth decay, and he or she is known to have good oral hygiene, the problem may have a hidden cause. The person may be unable to brush and floss adequately due to a lack of knowledge about technique, a physical disability or a physiological issue.
Amalgam fillings are made from metal alloys, including mercury. Many patients are choosing to replace these fillings with more eco-friendly and aesthetically pleasing composite fillings. Properly disposing of old fillings is essential. Every small step in protecting the environment counts toward a cleaner, healthier world.
Our Holistic Dentistry Services
To protect and preserve your overall health, Dr. Park, who is a fully-trained holistic dentist, provides these unique services:
- SAFE MERCURY FILLINGS REMOVAL: Dr. Park is a certified member of the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology. As such, she adheres to the SMART (Safe Mercury Amalgam Technique) protocol when removing amalgam fillings which contain toxic mercury. This protocol vastly reduces your risk of exposure to mercury. Dr. Park also uses a special oral vacuum to filter and remove toxic mercury vapors during this procedure.
- OZONE DISINFECTS AND HEALS: Ozone is a highly active form of oxygen which stimulates the body’s ability to regenerate tissue which means faster healing after dental work. Ozone is also a powerful disinfectant which kills bacteria, viruses and other harmful microorganisms. Dr. Park uses only medical-grade ozone to treat infected gums and teeth and for disinfecting during dental procedures.
- DIAGNOSTIC ORAL DNA TESTING: With oral DNA testing – laboratory testing of your saliva – Dr. Park can see how much bacteria and other harmful microorganisms reside in your mouth to determine the best dental treatment plan for your overall health.
At Green Dental, we consider all things when providing you with dental care. We work to ensure that you have the best in patient-centered care. Our education component helps you understand how to manage your oral hygiene so that you can maintain optimal oral health. Our commitment to healthy living extends to protecting the environment through responsible handling and disposal of dental materials.
Green Technology for Healthy White Teeth
Dentistry has made outstanding advancements in instruments, techniques and materials. At Green Dental, we bring this cutting-edge technology to you, providing you with comfortable, efficient, effective, and in many cases, pain-free dental procedures. We offer dental treatments and procedures that result in the highest level of oral health. At the same time, our practices are eco-friendly.
Eco – Friendly Practice
Our team is dedicated to maintaining an environmentally-friendly practice with rigorous infection control as follows:
- DIGITAL DENTISTRY ELIMINATES CHEMICAL WASTE: Green Dental uses only digital x-rays which greatly reduce radiation exposure for patients and eliminate the need for chemical x-ray developers which harm the environment.
- AMALGAM SEPARATORS PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT: An amalgam separator is a device which captures toxic particles after removal of an amalgam filling to prevent those particles from entering the community sewage system.
- 6-STAGE SURGICALLY CLEAN AIR FILTRATION PROCESS: We have an advanced air filtration system which, through a six-stage process, filters out viruses, bacteria, fungi and other harmful particles as small as 1/100th of a micron in diameter.
- BIOCOMPATIBLE MATERIALS FOR OPTIMUM HEALTH: Our use of biocompatible materials reduces the risk of an inflammatory reaction in patients.
- PURIFIED WATER SYSTEM: Our sophisticated water purification system removes harmful components from the water used in your dental work.
- ADDITIONAL STEPS TO PROTECT YOU AND THE ENVIRONMENT: We use an oilless compressor which won’t release hazardous pollutants into the air like oil compressors do. We also use eco-friendly disinfectants which don’t leave toxic build-up on surfaces or irritate the skin, eyes or respiratory system. And our dry-air dental vacuum saves nearly 5,500 gallons of water per day.
Environmentally conscious dental healthcare is a relatively new concept. Find out more about this unique practice for achieving healthy, beautiful smiles for all your family members. Contact Green Dental of Alexandria today to schedule your appointment.