When it comes to buzzwords and trends in the healthcare industry over the last decade, “holistic” is certainly at the top of the list. People view holistic healthcare as one that considers the whole body and values the use of natural treatments, products and materials. But have you ever heard of holistic dentistry? The concept is much the same and just as intriguing to patients who value a natural, environmentally-friendly approach to oral health. Is a holistic dentist right for you? Here’s a closer look at what you can expect from a dentist who specializes in this niche field of holistic dentistry.
What is a Holistic Dentist?
The simplest definition of a holistic dentist is a dentist who seeks alternatives to traditional dental procedures that use materials that could be potentially harmful to the rest of the body. In general, a holistic dentist will:
- Use biocompatible and environmentally-safe products and materials
- Invests in purification systems to remove toxins in the air and water
- Treats the mouth while considering the health and well-being of the whole body
- Avoids mercury-based amalgam fillings
- Relies on digital dentistry to reduce waste and lower radiation exposure
- Committed to treating the underlying issues that cause dental concerns
- Considers adverse effects that dental treatments could have on the body long-term
While both traditional and holistic dentists can value the connection between oral health and overall health, a holistic dentist makes it a priority to simultaneously care for the mouth, body and mind through their care. The philosophy of holistic dentists can often lead to the use of alternative dental procedures and materials, so it is important that patients stay informed about what to expect.
Is a Holistic Dentist Right for You?
What would holistic dentistry look like for you? At the end of the day, it is a personal preference based on what matters most to you. Call Green Dental of Alexandria to schedule a consult or take a tour of our office. You’ll be amazed at how we’ve set ourselves apart in the dental care industry with our passionate efforts to provide clean, safe and natural dental treatments that promote a better smile and healthier body!
Posted on behalf of Dr. Hye Park, Green Dental of Alexandria
Green Dental of Alexandria – Alexandria Dentist
1725 Duke St, Suite GR03
Alexandria, VA 22314
Phone: (703) 549-1725